- Employment Opportunities
Black Classic Press
Position Available: Publishing Assistant
At the direction of the publisher, the publishing assistant helps coordinate multiple aspects of Black Classic Press operations, including production, order fulfillment/customer service, and inventory management as well as marketing and communications. This is a hands-on publishing position working in production and administration, with limited editorial responsibilities. Initially, the publishing assistant will work 20-30 hours per week with the expectation to become a full-time employee. Compensation will be based on skills and experience. In addition to compensation, the publishing assistant will be exposed to one of the best, fully rounded, experiences in independent and commercial publishing available today.
Core responsibilities include:
- Providing administrative support for the publisher, which may include the following areas: contracts and rights, copyright registration, royalties, permissions, online retail sites, inventory, book production, in-house order system maintenance, proofreading, monitoring sales and inventory; preparing customer orders (which could weigh up to 50 pounds), and managing e-book strategy
- Assisting with the development of new publications;maintaining production schedules, researching, proofreading, fact-finding, verifying information, addressing queries, filing and updating databases, and communicating with customers via phone, mail, and email.
To be considered, qualified applicants will have:
- A College Degree with a strong background in History, English, Social Science or Mass Communications
- 2 years of administrative/office experience
- An experienced awareness of Black history, literature, and culture
- Superior organization skills, is a self-starter, and works well independently and at the direction of others
- Advanced skill in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Social Media
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Better than average grammar and math skills
- Knowledge of InDesign and Chicago Manual of Style helpful
- Social media and/or marketing experience a plus
About Black Classic Press
Founded in 1978, Black Classic Press specializes in re-publishing obscure and significant works by and about people of African descent. Our current strategic focus is on expanding the title list by acquiring new academic titles and adding historical reprints. In 1995, we became a leading pioneer in digital and on-demand printing enabling us to produce our titles in-house and as needed.
To apply, email your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes may be submitted until July 31, 2017.